ASIAN CUCUMBER SALAD & CABBAGE TAHINI SLAW
Hello summer!!!! Ahh, how I do love me some back yard outings, socially distanced BBQ’s and watching kids play and run around in the yard! Last year I shared a few of my favorite BBQ side dishes, and I thought I would do the same this year. I usually keep things simple on the grill as I’ll throw some organic / grass fed meat or fish seasoned with a variety of spices, fresh squeezed lemon and olive oil and pair it with different veggies. Both of the recipes I selected here are really quite simple, colorful, flavorful, unique and delicious!
The cabbage slaw is so easy it’s silly. The key to a perfect dish is slicing the red cabbage very thin. Save yourself time and buy carrots already sliced into matchsticks. The cucumber salad is Asian inspired so it goes perfectly with grilled tuna or salmon! You can get fancy with the spiralizer or if you’re in a rush just slice the cucumbers into little thin disks. Either way you slice it, I’m certain you will find these salads refreshing and fun! Enjoy my friends!
Asian Cucumber Salad
· 8 Persian cucumbers or 3 English cucumbers, sliced 1/4 thin (rounds) or spiralized on flat blade
· ½ red pepper, sliced thin
· 2 tablespoons honey (agave or pure maple syrup work)
· 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
· 4 tablespoons tamari (soy sauce or liquid aminos work)
· 2 tablespoons sesame oil
· 1 lime, juiced
· Chili flakes, to your spicy liking
Mix all the seasonings (honey through lime) and pour a top of the cucumbers and peppers just before serving. Toast the sesame seeds by placing them in a dry pan over medium heat. Shake the pan a few minutes until the seeds start to turn golden. Sprinkle seeds over your salad and keep remaining dressing in fridge for later use.
Fresh Cabbage Tahini Slaw
· 4 cups of finely sliced red cabbage (very thin)
· ½ cup shredded carrots (match sticks)
· 2 stalks of scallions, finely chopped, cut on the diagonal
· 2 tablespoons of tahini
· 2 limes, juiced
· 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
· 1 tablespoon water
· 2 tablespoons olive oil (or avocado oil)
· 1 tablespoons pure honey
· Salt for taste
In a large bowl mix the cabbage and carrots together. Pour the mixed dressing (which has been whisked together in a small bowl) and toss with tongs. Garnish with scallions.