Hello fellow foodies! I’m keeping things simple this month for you! I want to provide you with a go-to appetizer of mine that is easy, delicious and a spin off of a 7-layer Mexican Dip. I’ve been pretty obsessed with everything Mediterranean this season, so it seems only fitting to offer you a dish that fits within this region.
This Layered Greek Dip recipe is an easy, make-ahead appetizer for a party. The briny Kalamata olives, juicy cucumbers, salty feta and garlicky hummus remind me of my favorite Greek salad. But it has also become a leftover hack of a snack, salad and burger topper for the week ahead… so yes, I always make extra.
This Greek dip has – you guessed it – 7 layers of goodness made from some of the yummiest, freshest ingredients.
How do I make the Layered Greek Dip? First, select a serving platter that allows you to build the layers pyramid style so there is a wider base and a narrower peak. This is merely an aesthetic choice but I’m all about presentation! Second, make sure your cream cheese (or almond spread) is at room temperature before you start making the dip, makes it much easier to work with (think one hour on your counter). I often purchase plain hummus for this dip if I’m short on time since there are so many other fresh ingredients at play. Grape tomatoes are my go-to for this dip because I almost always have them on hand. Feel free to use any combination of colorful grape tomatoes, too. Kalimata is a must here and olive bar olives are firm and easy to slice. Block vs. pre-crumbled feta cheese: is there a difference? The short answer is yes. Although I love pre-crumbled feta cheese for its convenience, there is no question that I prefer block feta for flavor and it’s usually less expensive! To summarize, this dip requires a little mixing, some chopping, and a beautiful assembly. Takes a bit more time, but the smaller you chop your pieces of cucumbers, tomato, olives, cheese and scallions, the more color and taste fits on every bite. I hope you enjoy this crowd pleaser as much as I do!
7-LAYER GREEK DIP
· 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened (go with an almond based cheese spread, like the one made by Kite Hill for a dairy free version! I often will use this, but keep the feta, a little dairy goes a long way)
· 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
· 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 cup prepared hummus
· 3/4 cup chopped cucumber (English cucumber is my preference)
· 3/4 cup chopped tomato (plum or cherry)
· 1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
· 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (block)
· 1/4 cup sliced green onions, scallions
· Pita chips Toufayan makes a darn good gluten-free pita chip that your gluten-sensitive guests will appreciate or
· Corn Chips (I love Late July Multigrain Tortilla Chips)
1. Add cream cheese (or almond spread), lemon juice, Italian seasoning and garlic in a medium sized mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until combined.
2. Spread cream cheese mixture into a serving dish. Spread the hummus on top of the cream cheese mixture then top with the remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours. Serve with pita chips or corn chips.